Thursday, July 27, 2006

New mag stores

We were impressed by a visit recently to the relatively new Journo store in downtown Toronto operated by HDS (Hachette Distribution Services). It is apparent that the combination of coffee shop and magazine rack is here to stay (a natural fit). It has certainly eclipsed the old "smoke shop" model that prevailed for many years.

Chapters/Indigo, of course, works hand-in-glove with Starbucks. The Journo cafe serves Van Houtte coffee. Some chain magazine stores, like Great Canadian News (HDS), Maison de la Presse (also HDS), Pages in Toronto and Shoppers Drug Marts everywhere apparently don't see themselves as being in the cafe business, but given that there is , seemingly, a coffee shop in every block particularly in Toronto and Vancouver, it may be that serving coffee on the premises is redundant.

Here's a little exercise for you. Post a comment to this item (click on the word "COMMENTS" at the bottom of this item), giving your review or analysis of your favourite magazine store, either where you live/work, or anywhere else in Canada, and make sure you say howcum you think so. We'll be particularly interested in rugged independents who do a great job of selling magazines, whether or not they sell anything else.

If you like, you can also lament magazine stores of the recent past, no longer with us. Lichtman's is still remembered fondly around my house.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of the Presse Internationale on College near Clinton. The chain in general has an excellent selection, but this particular store is well managed by some very nice folks. And it's close to several cafes. But perhaps it just makes me happy because it took so damn long to get a magazine store in Little Italy, that I'm still celebrating after five years.

9:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Presse Internationale on College is great. Here in Montreal, I'm partial to the Multi Mags on Ste. Laurent near the American Apparel. They have a great selection and a super friendly staff. It is a hop, skip and a jump from carre St. Louis, if you wanna read your new mag while sitting beside a heroin addict. Alternatively you could flip through the pages over a slice and a Brio at Euro Deli which is also close by.

10:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Front Page on Jasper Ave in Edmonton. It ain't pretty but it's quite possibly the best selection of magazines I've ever seen outside of Presse Internationale.

Oh, and of course it's not near anything -- Jasper is a vast wasteland for pedestrians.

10:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big fan of Front Page in Edmonton too. I like that's slightly scuzzy looking on the outside and a gem of printed word on the inside.

But my first love was always Hub Cigar, and I'm still in mourning over its disappearance.

10:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the Hub. That it burned down is probably the strongest indictment against smokes + magazines going.

11:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be said, the library is pretty great in terms of selection, especially for back issues.

I also like Pages on Queen Street in Toronto. They have lots of "alternative" mags and don't care if you stay there forever thumbing through them. Plus, they play good music.

11:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May we please have the address for Journo? I'd love to check it out but don't know where to go.

2:19 pm  
Blogger D. B. Scott said...

Journo is on King Street, south side, a few blocks east of Spadina, at Widmer, I think. Address is 327 King Street West.

2:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to save my magazine purchases for Pages at Queen and John just to support them and keep them in business. I did check out Journo yesterday and the staff were exceptionally friendly--the coffee was shite. I was annoyed they weren't selling "Field and Stream" and the owner is ordering it in just for me. (How can a magazine store sell Soldier of Fortune and not Field and Stream?) Journo is owned by Great Canadian Newsstands. As nice as they are, I think your money is better spent at an independant bookstore.

5:36 pm  
Blogger Judith said...

What about Tequila Bookworm?

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only time I had a latte at Tequila Bookworm it was lukewarm, so despite its great selection of wild magazines, it doesn't make the grade...

11:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DB,

I like Book City, in the Beaches. The staff know their stuff, and the selection is excellent.

Scott

7:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have spent a lifetime loving The Bookshelf in Guelph, Ontario. Not only is it a great bookstore with an ample magazine rack, it smells good on account of the attached bistro. Oh, and it's a bar...and a rep cinema. Did I forget anything? Oh yes, it's got a rooftop lounge as well. I always attribute growing up in Guelph and practically living at The Bookshelf as the reason I am so interested in mash-ups and combined arts. (Not to mention successful, lively, literary, wonderful independent local businesses!)

4:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll jump on the Bookshelf in Guelph bandwagon as well. Great venue. I only wish it were bigger... and in Toronto.

9:23 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home