Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New Yorker publishes first cover
created with an iPhone

The New Yorker magazine has published its first cover created on an iPhone. According to a story in the New York Times, artist Jorge Colombo used a $4.99 'Brushes' app after buying his iPhone in February and rendered the view of a hot dog stand outside of Madame Tussauds on 42nd street.
“The best feature of it is that it doesn’t feel like something that was done digitally; quite the opposite,” said Françoise Mouly, the art editor for The New Yorker. “All too often the technology is directed in only one direction, which is to make things more tight, and this, what he did very well, is use this technology for something that is free flowing, and I think that’s what makes it so poetic and magical.”
For the artist, it was also a matter of convenience.
It “made it easy for me to sketch without having to carry all my pens and brushes and notepads with me, and I like the fact that I am drawing with a set of tools that anybody can have easily in their pocket,” he said. There is one other advantage of the phone, too: no one notices he is drawing. Mr. Colombo said he stood on 42nd Street for about an hour with no interruptions.

“It gives him an anonymity in the big city that an artist with the easel wouldn’t have,” Ms. Mouly said.

“Absolutely nobody can tell I am drawing,” Mr. Colombo said. “In fact, once I was doing the drawing at some place, and my wife was around, and they asked her why did I have to work so hard? I seemed to be always on my iPhone sending messages.”
A video of Colombo's technique has been posted on newyorker.com

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Chris Ronk said...

I love this.
I don't think too highly of the artwork itself; but the fact that he did this while waiting in line is awesome.

What a great app. That alone is worth getting an iPhone.

4:44 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home