Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Readers fairly critical of high cost of Economist accessed on Kindle e-reader

U.S. readers of The Economist can now have wireless delivery of the magazine to their Kindle readers (Kindle or Kindle DX) for a fairly bracing $10.49 a month or $5.49 for a single, weekly issue, ordered through Amazon, according to a newsletter from publisher Ben Edwards. The magazine is one of about 30 titles Amazon is now offering for the e-readers, including some major titles such as The New Yorker, Fortune, Forbes, The Atlantic, Time and Reader's Digest. Most are offered on a 14-day free trial basis.

Comments about The Economist online offers are fairly critical of the cost. As one person said:
Do they really expect consumers to ignore the fact that they have a much lower Cost-of-Sale when selling the digital version? It HAS to be cheaper. I'm not willing to feel like I've been suckered.
Another pointed out that Amazon takes 70% of the cover price:
I love my Kindle, I love The Economist, and I am a loyal Amazon shopper, but not at this price. I'll stick with the print edition.
Still another said:
As somebody else said, I am not paying the same for the digital version as compared to the print version. I get pictures and other illustrations in full color in the print version. I also get actual paper. In the Kindle version I get none of those. Are amazon and economist trying to discourage me from buying the Kindle version. Reduce the price by 50% and I am willing to buy.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Dave @ YES Mag/KNOW said...

Does any one know the economics? What is the cost to the Economist? How much does Amazon take?

3:13 pm  
Blogger D. B. Scott said...

Apparently,Amazon takes about 70% of the cover price.

5:39 pm  
Anonymous Dave @ YES Mag/KNOW said...

That seems a massive disincentive to publishers. Our company certainly could not do that AND offer a lower price to customers.

3:08 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home