Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Working at home is not perfect...and it's not easy

Freelance writer (and teacher) Diane Peters has a wise article in the December issue of Today's Parent magazine, setting the record straight for women who think working at home means they can make a decent living and keep everything spotless, including themselves. She addresses each of several illusions and starts off with a telling anecdote:
All I had to do was make one super-quick work-related phone call. Neither my husband nor my part-time sitter was around, so I gave my 10-month-old daughter a snack and a toy, and sat her on the floor of my home office. I dialed the number; I got my guy. While I asked him my one question, my daughter crawled under the desk and deftly snapped off my phone’s power bar.

This is what it’s really like to be a parent who works at home.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dayanti Karunaratne said...

Great piece -- even for people without kids! I'm re-thinking my work attire now!

1:58 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home