Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thinking and rethinking about anonymous comments

“Anonymity is just the way things are done. It’s an accepted part of the Internet, but there’s no question that people hide behind anonymity to make vile or controversial comments. I feel that this is almost like an education process. As the rules of the road are changing and the Internet is growing up, the trend is away from anonymity.”
-- Arianna Huffington, a founder of The Huffington Post.
For those (like this blog) who continue to wonder about the trade-offs and benefits of allowing anonymous posting, there is a very good discussion of current thinking in this recent article from the New York Times.[Thanks, Allan, for bringing this article to my attention.] 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick Spence oughta ban anonymous postings to his blog since he's always carping about them on this one.
So, how 'bout it, Mr. Spence? Let's be consistent, shall we?

As for you D.B., you're a sweetheart for letting us anonymooses chime in from time to time. Heck, we mean well...and we generate 80% of your traffic!

12:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me the main appeal of being Anonymous is I can just post fast and be done with it. I have way too many passwords and accounts to keep track of, so I can't be bothered to use an ID. I admit I'm a bit of a Luddite but while I'm on the Web all day, I don't have a google account or even know what Open ID means with those little icon doo-dads. I'll bet a lot of posters are like me, not "hiding" under the cloak of Anonymity so much as just being too lazy to bother creating an identity!

10:57 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home