Registration is now open for the Alberta Magazines Conference and awards gala, March 16 and 17 and the Hyatt Regency hotel in Calgary. Early bird savings are available until Feb 23 and the deadline for gala tickets is March 9. Among the highlights noted in a recent release:
- Masterclasses: Long-time senior editor of th New Yorker, John Bennet, leads a discussion on how writers and editors can work in harmony; creative director Vanessa Wyse shows you how to improve infographics; publisher of San Francisco and Silcon Valley Paul Reulbach sheds light on new ways to increase revenue streams
- Alberta Magazine Awards Gala: The annual Alberta Magazine Awards program honours the best in the industry and gives the region's magazine professionals a chance to commend the work of their colleagues. Awards will be given out in 25 categories, recognizing innovation and creativity in the industry in the past year. Finalists will be announced in early February.
- Keynotes: Get an intimate look at John Bennet's 40-year career at the New Yorker, hear how Leo Jung and his team at The California Sunday Magazine get attention in today's world, and Innovation Media Consulting Group's Andrew Rolf presents the highlights of the 2017-18 Innovation in Magazine Media World Report
- Breakout sessions: Hear from speakers like Carey Polis of Bon Appetit on content strategy, Bridget Williams of Food52 on building commerce, Haley Overland of Chatelaine on what social media can do for magazines, Jerrid Grimm of Pressboard on mastering native content, Jason Markusoff and Colin Campbell of Maclean's on building editorial packages and many more
- Silent Auction: Bid on items in support of the Amber Webb-Bowermann Memorial Foundation, which provides financial assistance to emerging Western Canadian journalists and artists. Have something to donate?